So, you’ve made the decision to purchase a standby generator for your home. Smart choice. But before you break out your checkbook, make sure to ask these questions so you can find the generator that is best for your home.
1. What size generator do I need? When properly sized for your home, standby generators can power all of your lights, appliances, and electronic devices.
2. What kind of fuel does the generator use? Generators can run on natural gas, propane, or diesel. If your home already has a pre-existing natural gas line or propane tank, it would make sense to choose a generator that accommodates these circumstances.
3. How do I turn the generator on and off? What good is a generator if you don’t know how to turn it on? Many models turn on automatically, but some require the manual flip of a switch.
4. How long can I run the generator for? Is it safe to run your generator for 24 hours straight? What about 48? This is something you should ask your contractor during the buying process.
5. Are any permits required for installation? More times than not, you will need to acquire a permit from your town to install a generator on your property. Your contractor should be familiar with these local laws, and may even acquire the necessary permit(s) for you.
6. What kind of maintenance is required? Like your car, standby generators need routine maintenance in order to run in peak condition. You should know these maintenance requirements before purchasing.
7. Is the generator covered by a warranty? A standby generator is a significant investment – you want to make sure it lasts. Inquire about the manufacturer’s standard warranty, and see if extended options are available.
If you are looking for a standby generator for your Connecticut home, look no further than Cannondale Generators. We have sold, installed, maintained, and repaired generators across Fairfield County for more than 25 years. Contact us online to get started with a free estimate, or call (203) 762-2608.